Friday, April 5, 2013

Waiting for Love

My mother said I was a late bloomer.  I wasn’t sure what that meant.  I tried to be just like my sisters but even I knew they were more beautiful than me. Everyone said so. Never chosen. Never picked to be the one.  At first I was too little to notice but mother nature has a way of maturing even the most innocent.  My opinion of myself grew as did I.  Even though I felt awkward and gangly my mother said never give up. 
     “Someday you’ll be the one that is chosen.” 
     In my young mind I said: “Well, sure no one else will be left.” 
    My optimism waned that summer of my awareness of the beauty around me.  Sometimes I pretended it didn’t matter.  I would dance before the oak trees pretending they were giants.   When their tops would sway on the summer’s breeze I just knew they thought me a princess and bowed before me, in respect and awe.  Once in the twilight I began to hear the song of a whippoorwill.  I wanted to believe it sang a song of love just for me. The fireflies were torches that led my love to me so I could be chosen. Yet nothing happened.
     Late summer’s rain danced one day as I hid beneath an oak tree.  I’d given up.  I pretended not to care.  When the sun burst from behind the gray clouds I heard him coming.  I looked down at my dark green dress now wet with what I imagined would be another rejection. I held my head up high feeling a strength in my limbs I never knew existed.  Then there he was, my prince.  He wasn’t as tall as I thought he’d be and much younger than I’d dreamed.  Yet there he stood, smiling at me as if I were a gift from God.
    Then it happened.  He chose me! Me! With his firm grasp around my waist he pulled me up and stared lovingly into my crown.  That’s when I heard him say as he released me from the first petal.
     “She loves me.  She loves me not.”

Did you guess the ending? Were you surprised?

I wrote this for the Webster County Writing group.  Our assignment was to write something concerning nature.  Needless to say I put it off to the last minute then realized my computer was very sick.  Fortunately I was able to get the virus off thanks to an amazing computer genie.  By the time I got my baby home I had two hours to write, cook dinner and finish preparing for today's yard sale.  The above is what I created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment