Sunday, April 6, 2014

Create a Better Blog



This past weekend I took a blogging workshop led by Lindsey Bell. Her blog is called Faith & Family. Whether you are thinking about starting a blog or have been writing one for a while, there are important ways to make sure you keep your focus. This will let your readers know that from the start your blog is worth the effort of revisiting more than once. These are some suggestions that Lindsey gave us at the Call to Write Conference.

*Write a mission statement for your blog. My mission statement is right under the name of my blog.
*Be consistent.
*Posts should be between 300-600 words.
*Besides using a catchy format, use pictures, bullets, even contests.
*Try using clever headlines.
*Use other social media outlets to spread the word about your posts.
*Try to guest post when possible. Then return the favor.
*Lindsey suggested by linking to quality content within your posts, readers will be encouraged to know that your blog is not just another pretty face.
*Network with other bloggers.
*Offer something to your followers that will bring them back for more; recipes, contests, games, coupons, advice.

This post was 207 words. You don’t have to write War & Peace to have a meaningful blog.

Helpful sites on blogging:
www.thecreativepenn.com/blog
www.goinswriter.com
 

3 comments:

  1. I know I need to blog more consistently, and allowing myself shorter posts might make that more possible. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tierney. It's nice to know what I should be doing with my blog. I love the tip about making posts 300-600 words long. We're all so busy these days, we don't have time to read a whole volume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with every one of her suggestions! Great job and thanks for passing this along. Your blog looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete